At Chestnuts, we believe that Physical Education (P.E.) is essential to the development of the whole child, both for physical health but also for keeping mentally healthy. We promote the importance of physical education and maintaining a healthy lifestyle to all children from the Early Years, through Key Stage 1 and into Key Stage 2. We ensure that P.E. is delivered in a safe and supportive manner, teaching the children how to look after themselves whilst participating in sports and exercise.
Each class has two sessions of P.E. per week: one taught by their class teacher and the other taught by our specialist P.E. coach. Progressive learning objectives, combined with sympathetic and varied teaching approaches, give the children the opportunities to learn and try new sports and develop and improve their physical skills. Through P.E. lessons, the children are also taught a range of additional skills, such as collaboration, perseverance and sportsmanship. We are incredibly proud of how well our children support each other and people on opposing teams when we take part in friendlies, competitive matches or tournaments.
We also offer a range of extracurricular sports-based activities and encourage all children to participate should they wish to. These are offered both during lunchtime and after school to a range of different age groups. Some are provided by our staff and others are run by external providers. This ensures that the children are provided with a range of high-quality experiences.
At Chestnuts, through P.E., we aim to:
- Ensure that all children continuously develop their skills and abilities.
- Nurture a safe and supportive environment where everyone is confident to participate and improve.
- Develop a love of P.E. within the children.
- Provide opportunities for the children to take part in a wide range of sports and physical activities.
- Ensure that all children are physically active for sustained periods of time.
- Engage in competitive sports and activities.
- Support the children to lead healthy and active lives.
- Develop children who understand and show sportsmanship towards others.